Heat pumps. Ingenious. Game changing. Efficient. Local. The new ‘must have’ heating system. A heat pump will allow you to heat your home, office or other building without burning any fossil fuels and it will cut your heating bills often by more than half!
If you have a refrigerator, you already own the technology. Your fridge moves heat from the air inside the unit out of its base or back, chilling the interior to keep your leftovers and favorite alcoholic carbonated sports beverage cool. A heat pump reverses the process in your fridge and moves heat from outdoor air into your home.
Heat pumps are perfectly suited for Juneau. The new generation of cold climate air source heat pumps operate efficiently down to 0F or even colder. They make a house warm, dry, and even filter the interior air. You’ll be able to get rid of the old oil tank, freeing up some space and moving on from the worries of leaking fuel, fuel thievery, and the volatility of the oil markets. Heat pumps run on electricity generated by Juneau’s renewable hydropower, so they don’t pollute the air or create greenhouse gas emissions. And did we mention the cost savings? $$$$!
• Converting to a heat pump can cut more than 50% from your heating bills
• Typical payback time is 3-7 years
• Doubles as an air conditioner on those increasingly common hot summer days
• Some models allow control from your phone, even from afar!
Hundreds of Juneau homes and businesses have converted to efficient heat pumps. Several local installers say they are adding two or more per week to the tally. Juneau also has extensive experience with ground source heat pumps, which currently warm AEL&P’s headquarters and supply heat to the airport, the Dimond Park pool and library, and the Auke Bay school. The Ted Stevens Marine Institute (NOAA) is heated with sea water source heat pumps.
More information and inspiration:
- Renewable Juneau’s Heat Pump Brochure
- The energy advisors at Alaska Heat Smart can help you learn about how heat pumps could work best for your home…at no cost!
- Our Heat Pump 101 Workshop presentation is here
- Our Juneau Success Stories pages describe some of our neighbors’ experiences in converting to heat pumps including costs, savings, systems both installed and replaced and more.
- Additional heat pump resources can be found here,